Middle back pain (back pain) is not a trivial symptom. It may be the manifestation of an anomaly in the muscular, joint and bone structures located in the region of the dorsal spine. She can also be a referred pain.
Back pain can manifest as severe or moderate pain, tension, tingling, prickling or burning sensation. When this type of symptom is repeated and/or lasts more than 3 months, it is called chronic pain.
This article will differentiate between neck pain, low back pain and back pain. Then, he will list 10 possible causes of pain in the middle of the back as well as what to do in each case.
Definition: Understanding mid-back pain better
Back pain nowadays is the evil of the century because it is very common. Nevertheless, according to the different portions of the back that are affected, there are three groups:
We then speak of neck pain when the pain is located in the upper back at the level of the vertebrae cervical (neck).
We are talking about lumbago when this pain is localized in the lower back at the level of the lumbar vertebrae.
Finally we talk about back pain (which interests us in this article) when the pain is located in the middle of the back at the level of the dorsal vertebrae.
Anatomy of the back and spine
La spine is formed by 7 cervical vertebrae, 12 dorsal or thoracic vertebrae and 5 lumbar vertebrae. Moreover there is the sacrum and the coccyx which are welded vertebrae being added following the last vertebrate lumbar.
Between the mobile vertebrae there are intervertebral discs which allow the movements of the spine and act as a shock absorber. The vertebrae have a hole in their center which forms the Spinal canal.
It is in this channel that the spinal cord. The latter divides into nerve roots that emerge from the vertebrae and will innervate a specific part of the body. All around the spine and spinal cord, ligaments and muscles powerful come to reinforce this framework.
The dorsal vertebrae support the rib cage which contains vital organs such as the heart, large vessels (aorta, pulmonary artery), lungs, trachea and esophagus. This part of the spine is characterized as being less mobile than the others (cervical and lumbar). Any malfunction will therefore be a source of pain or a feeling of blockage.
10 Possible Causes of Middle Back Pain You Shouldn't Miss
Le middle back pain can have various origins. Most of the time, it is due to a fall, too sudden an effort or a prolonged position. The back pain most of the time settle gradually. Their causes can be classified as follows:
1- Mechanical causes
A pain between the shoulder blades can appear following certain movements, like leaning forward ou marcher. It can also appear when you stay in one position for too long. For example, someone who works sitting in front of a computer and stay too long in this position, will develop long-term back pain.
The same is true for workers who stand for a long time. Thus, a lack of movement in general will lead to muscle weakness in the back.
This back pain can be aggravated by actions as innocuous as deep breathing, coughing or to sneeze.
2- Traumatic causes
Several traumatic incidents can cause back pain. This is a public road accident (AVP), a sudden impact, a kick, etc. In cases of trauma, note that the spinal cord is at risk of being affected. This could therefore lead to neurological problems such as paraplegia.
3- Rheumatological causes
Rheumatological causes that lead to back pain occur in patients aged 60 and over. We can cite among others:
- arthritis: from the prefix "arthro" which means "joint" and the suffix "itis" which means "inflammation", it is a general term which includes any form oftissue inflammation, acute or chronic stage, and may affect one or more joints of the dorsal spine.
- back osteoarthritis : it is characterized by a destruction of cartilage at the level of the dorsal vertebrae which extends to all the structures, in particular to the bone and to the synovial tissue. In osteoarthritis, the cartilage loses thickness, cracks and eventually disappears. This leads to pain and major disability.
- osteoporosis : it is a disease of the bone which is characterized by a decreased bone density dorsal vertebrae. This condition leads to changes in the micro architecture of the bone which becomes fragile. The bone is less resistant to shocks. Of the broken bones easily occur as a result of minor trauma such as a fall from one's own height, a stumble while walking, etc.
- La ankylosing spondylitis is a rheumatological cause of back pain particular in that it is found in young people, generally in men aged 15 to 40 years. There ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic and progressive disease, which leads to a progressive joint stiffness, hence the term “ankylosing”. In the long term, the vertebrae can fuse together, causing pronounced stiffening of the spine.
4- Degenerative causes
The most concrete example is the herniated disc. Like all other causes of degenerative mid-back pain, it is associated with physical inactivity and aging. This dysfunction of intervertebral disc caused by the herniated disc is often the cause of disc degeneration, which leads to significant back pain.
To learn more about back hernia, see the following article.
5- Physiological causes
Here we are evoking in women the pregnancy which can cause pain in the middle of the back. Menstruation and menopause are two other physiological factors that can cause back pain in women.
Finally, back pain can also reflect a cause cardiac (6) vascular (7) pulmonary (8) visceral (9) digestive (10) or pathologies of the type Scoliosis (11). It is therefore important to consult a specialist in the event of prolonged back pain.
What to do in the face of pain in the middle of the back? (solutions)
The causes of pain in the middle of the back being multiple, a treatment will be undertaken according to the type of back pain. There support will differ then depending on whether it is degenerative back pain, back pain of traumatic origin, whether the pain comes from the bones, the muscles or the intervertebral disc.
In general the state of repos accompanied by painkillers helps relieve pain. This solution is only temporary but will not address the cause.
For the causes mechanical, it is important not to stay in the same position for a long time. Do not hesitate to move regularly and stretch your back to relieve it. It is also necessary to take short but regular breaks (rather than infrequent long breaks) to prevent the onset of back pain.
In addition, it is advisable to succeed in compensating for this type of habit (prolonged identical position) by activities such as gymnastics with a ball to restore mobility and reduce damage. In some cases, a posture corrector (like this one) can relieve symptoms in the short term, although it is best to use this type of accessory sparingly.
A qualified practitioner (such as an osteopath or physiotherapist) will know relax tense muscles through manual techniques. In addition, it is possible to self-treat using effective and safe accessories. The following products, while not addressing the cause of the pain, provide temporary relief for many individuals:
- 【Multifunctional Physiotherapy】The acupressure kit set includes an acupressure mat and pillow, and 2 massage balls. You can use the acupressure set in different ways and on different parts of the body, such as lower back pain, insomnia, chronic stress, fatigue, tension, circulatory disorders, etc.
- 【Safe and Premium Material】The acupressure mat massager, cushion cover and storage bag are made of 100% cotton, the inside is 21D high-density eco-friendly sponge. The massage nail is made of non-toxic ABS plastic. 100% natural without side effects, hypoallergenic.
- 【Natural Ancient Indian Healing】 The acupressure mat has 230 massage nails, 6210 massage points, the pillow has 73 massage nails, 1971 massage points. Your weight is evenly distributed into thousands of small pieces to stimulate countless acupuncture points. Ideal for relaxation and promoting circulation. The size of the acupressure mat is 68*42cm, the size of the massage pillow is 37 x 15 x 10cm.
- 【Professional Shiatsu Massage】- The RENPHO neck massager gives you the benefits of a professional shiatsu massage at home, saving you time and money. Its ergonomic U-shape design and 8 deep kneading nodes simulate human fingers to create a super comfortable deep shiatsu massage. This shiatsu massager use on neck, shoulders, back, legs, thighs, calves and feet
- 【Heating】- This neck massager includes heat functions. Heat functions can be turned on or off independently
- 【Multiple Intensities & Directions】- This neck massager will ensure you don't have to worry about a sudden change in direction when you find the sweet spot. It will keep a kneading shiatsu massage in one direction until you want to change it. Combine this with 3 speed levels and your pulling strength to surely find the right intensity
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The graceful curves of this manual neck massager roller are the perfect combination of form and function. Different from other massage therapy tools, the neck massager looks more cute and humanized,
- RELIEVES MUSCLE STIFFNESS AND Aches: The 6 wheel neck massager is the perfect muscle massager tool for relieving spasms (knots) or trigger point muscles. By applying pressure to the affected muscle patch, blood circulation is stimulated bringing in more oxygen and nutrients for faster muscle relief and recovery.
- Less Effort: This portable massager has a longer handle and uses the principle of leverage, which is more comfortable and less labor intensive. Compared to direct massage with the hands, less than 1/4 of the force is needed. Enjoy relaxation without feeling tired at the same time. When you squeeze the handle, the strength of the force is controllable.
- 30 LEVELS Massage Gun：ALDOM massage gun Choose the speed and massage heads that best suit your needs can quickly eliminate lactic acid produced after exercise, and for everyday relieve muscle pain, back and neck aches and stiffness, greatly reducing the time muscle recovery.
- Long Battery Life: Equipped with high quality battery, the muscle massager can keep working about 6-8 hours after charging, while the cooling system can effectively remove excess heat, if the battery is low, there will be a red prompt.
- Less than 45 dB Ultra Low Noise: ALDOM muscle massager gun which features high performance and low noise. features advanced technology and high-torque non-brushed electric motor, Featuring the high-precision mold which tightly connects the machine head and the body, The high-torque motor rotates 1800-4800 times per minute and achieves your tissue to loosen the fascia (connective tissue)
- 【Deep Shiatsu Massage】The TAKRINK shiatsu massage cushion contains 8 deep kneading massage nodes that simulate the massage style of a professional masseuse, providing deep tissue massage. Let the massage cushion help relieve sore and tense muscles in your neck, shoulders and back, giving you an unforgettable full body massage.
- 【Remote Control Back Massager】Unlike other shiatsu massager pillow with built-in control buttons, this remote control shiatsu massager pillow doesn't require you to turn around and click buttons. You can adjust the program with the remote control while massaging, which ensures a more comfortable massage experience.
- 【Heating Function】The TAKRINK massage cushion can be heated up to 45°, promoting blood circulation and doubling the comfort of the massage experience. When you don't want to heat it, you can turn off the effect by clicking the heating button. With the addition of heating function, shiatsu neck massager doubles the massage effect and is a great choice to relax your muscles.
- 【EXCELLENT WORKMANSHIP】: This neck hammock equips with an adjustable strap, a cotton cushion, two strong built-in springs and a sturdy foldable stand with the non-slip feet, all of which ensure you have a long time. very pleasant relaxation
- 【NECK RELIEF】: This neck hammock helps keep your head in a natural position to relax your muscles. Just 15 minutes a day, you will be able to see the difference. Also help you improve bad posture, stiffness and torticollis. Perfect for office workers, students, athletes, drivers, seniors, etc.
- 【PORTABLE AND CONVENIENT】: This device differs from other hammock necks by its folding and removable support. Thanks to its innovative design and a free bag, you can take it everywhere and find a pleasant place to relax. No need to tie it to the doorknob, and the stand holds up after folding down
- 【6 in 1 Massager Kit】The muscle roller set includes 1*foam roller, 1*massage roller stick, 1*massage ball, 1*resistance band, 1*figure-of-8 exercise band and 1 storage bag. You will treat yourself to a full body massage – from the neck to the feet. 12 months warranty, so please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions, we will do our best to satisfy our customers.
- 【Effective Tension Relief】Use this foam roller set before workout to stretch muscles and prevent muscle injury. You can also activate muscles to enhance exercise effects during exercise. It is also suitable for stretching and balance exercises. Use for 20-30 minutes daily to relieve tight, stiff muscles and relieve tension.
- 【Excellent Elasticity and Durability】The muscle roller set is made of eco-friendly EVA material which has excellent durability, water resistance and elasticity, and is not easily deformed. The foam roller with protrusions is gentle on the body and gives an acupressure feeling. No smell, no harm to the body, no sweat. You can wash it directly with water.
- BACK MASSAGE ROLLER TO RELIEVE YOUR MUSCLE PAIN: relieve your muscle pain and tension with the Core Balance spiked foam roller. Roll the muscle massage roller placed under your muscles to break up soft tissue adhesions and target painful trigger points (muscle knots).
- DEEPER MYOFASCIAL RELEASE: Our back massager roller features a hollow plastic body with a nubby foam exterior for deeper myofascial release. The nubs on this back roller act like the hands and fingers of a massage therapist to target, relax and release tight muscle knots much more effectively.
- IMPROVE YOUR PERFORMANCE: Rolling the back roller over your muscles releases toxins, and increases the flow of blood and oxygen to the target area. Massage your muscles with our fitness roller before or after a workout to boost your performance, speed up your recovery time and protect you from injury.
- Muscle stimulator offering 30 programs: 10 physical preparation programs, 8 pain relief programs, 5 recovery programs, 2 rehabilitation programs and 5 fitness programs.
- The partner of your sports preparation, allowing you to prevent injuries, recover better but also relieve your pain.
- 4 independent channels allowing you to work 2 muscle groups simultaneously.
- [Excellent Matériau] Le masseurs pour le dos est fait de plastique ABS solide et épais à haute résistance, qui est durable, et a un coussinet en éponge au milieu qui peut fournir un amorti et protéger la colonne vertébrale, ce qui peut augmenter votre confort tout en massant votre dos.
- [Design Unique] Le civière dos est conçu selon la courbe physiologique de la colonne vertébrale humaine, équipé de 88 saillies de massage correspondant aux points d’acupuncture de votre corps, améliorant la circulation sanguine et massant les muscles du dos. Choisissez l’arc qui convient à l’étirement de votre corps en ajustant 3 niveaux différents.
- [Facile à Utiliser] Notre back stretcher ne nécessite pas d’électricité, vous pouvez utiliser ce support dorsal que vous soyez assis ou allongé. Parfait pour une utilisation à la maison, sur le canapé, sur une office chair, au gymnase, dans la voiture ou sur un tapis de yoga.
Causes of back pain Injurious as for them, they can be treated if they are not benign. In case of fractures, the treatment can be surgical. The rest of the treatment will require rehabilitation with a physiotherapist (physiotherapist) obligatorily.
Rheumatic or rheumatological pathologies, causes of back pain, will be treated first of all with analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs. If this solution is not effective, it is possible to make infiltrations corticosteroids.
Regarding the causes degenerative and physiological, it is important to follow a healthy lifestyle and adopt good eating or physical habits. It is also essential to optimize your quality of sleep (for example by using a memory foam orthopedic pillow like this).
Old age should not prevent movement. the gardening for example is an activity that will allow the elderly to not remain sedentary.
So you might need a nutritionist to help with a better diet (such as a anti-inflammatory diet). The practice of regular physical activity supervised by a physiotherapist (physiotherapist) is also essential for the proper functioning of your back.
La swimming is particularly recommended for the back. The practice of yoga is also an alternative solution, as is Pilates.
Prevention of back pain (avoid recurrence of injury)
There are easy techniques that can be performed at home on a daily basis, allowing prevent back pain especially the one felt in the middle of the spine. You can perform exercises to strengthen your back and improve your posture (not to be confused with bad posture) :
- Lying on your stomach, face against the ground, your arms are extended in the continuity of your body, lift your thighs one by one, then your arms. Do not go too high, a small amplitude will be beneficial if you contract the muscles of the back of your back well (thighs, buttocks, back, neck…).
- Fullerenes Stretching : To properly stretch your back, kneel down, sit on your buttocks, move your hands forward, trying to reach a point as far in front of you as possible on the floor. You don't have to take your butt off your heels to be effective.
Beyond these exercises, there are many others. These allow to strengthen the different parts of your back (lumbar, dorsal, cervical, etc.). Consulting a physiotherapist (physiotherapist) will therefore be necessary to guide you in exercises adapted to your course.
If the pain persists or get worse, it is important to consult a healthcare professional to clarify the diagnosis and guide treatment.
What about natural remedies? (alternative solutions)
Although they are not supported by solid scientific evidence, several natural products and home remedies are used to treat various body pains, especially for their anti-inflammatory power.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of plants and essential oils that are effective in controlling pain and inflammation:
- Turmeric : Thanks to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory powers very powerful, turmeric is one of the most used plants in a culinary and therapeutic context. The composition of turmeric is essentially made of essential oils, vitamins (B1, B2, B6, C, E, K) and trace elements. But it is to its composition rich in curcumin and curcuminoids that we owe them and calm skin of this spice.
- WHY CHOOSE OUR BLACK PEPPER TURMERIC EXTRACT CAPSULES? – Our supplement contains a…
- POWERFUL TURMERIC CAPSULES - Thanks to Piperine (active ingredient in black pepper),…
- IDEAL SIZE & FORMULA – Thanks to its format, our extra strong turmeric is easy to swallow and…
- Ginger : In addition to the special flavor it brings to the kitchen and its aphrodisiac properties, ginger is a root well known for its anti-inflammatory powers. THE gingerol gives it its anti-inflammatory action. It is an active component acting on the inflammatory pain related to chronic joint inflammatory diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, rheumatic diseases, etc. It has been proven that this active element is also effective in acting on the inflammation linked to arthritis and sciatica. Ginger also has other benefits thanks to its high potassium content and its richness in trace elements (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium) and vitamins (provitamin and vitamin B9).
- 【Natural Ginger Foot Patches】: Natural Foot Detox Patch with Ginger and…
- 【Ginger Anti Swelling Detox Patch】: Ginger Detox Patches are natural,…
- 【Removes Body Toxins】: Ginger Foot Patches helps reduce the buildup of…
- Omega-3s : Omega-3 are polyunsaturated fatty acids that play a very important role in the functioning of our body. They are provided by food in three natural forms: docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), alpha linolenic acid (ALA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Beyond their action on the brain and the cardiovascular system, omega-3s prove very effective against inflammation. Indeed, they have the ability to act on the inflammatory mechanisms in osteoarthritis by slowing down cartilage destruction, thus they reduce the intensity of osteoarthritis pain. Since sciatica is most often linked to inflammation secondary to a herniated disc, it can also respond to omega-3s if you consume them regularly.
- Lemon eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is a plant most often used in the form of herbal tea or essential oil. She would have anti-inflammatory effects which give it the ability to act on the bone and joint pain in general and the pain of sciatica in particular.
- Eucalyptus Citriodora Essential Oil.
- 100% pure.
- Botanical name: eucalyptus citriodo.
- wintergreen : Wintergreen is a shrub from which a very interesting essential oil is extracted. It is one of the most used essential oils in aromatherapy. This oil extracted from the shrub bearing the same name, is used in massage to relieve sciatica and act like a analgesic. Indeed, it provides a heating effect thanks to its ability toactivate blood circulation locally.
- PROPERTIES ORGANIC WINTERGOOD ESSENTIAL OIL: Wintergreen essential oil is…
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Refer to the instructions or ask your pharmacist for advice, This…
- PURESSENTIEL DNA: A range of 55 essential oils essential for well-being in the…