La sciatica is a condition that can cause great pain in the lower back and legs. However, there is another condition called truncate sciatica which can be just as painful, but is often mistaken for sciatica.
In this article, we will discuss the definition of this condition, and how it differs from sciatica. We will also give you advice on how to relieve the associated pain.
Definition: What is truncated sciatica?
Sciatica is a common condition that causes pain in the lower back and legs. The pain is caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back to the feet.
La truncate sciatica is a type of sciatica that occurs when the pain does not extend to the leg. It stops rather at the level of the buttocks or the knee.
If the pain stops at the buttocks, it is sometimes called gluteal sciatica, but it is not a medical term. Some people may experience pain on only one side of the body, while others may experience it on both sides.
If you experience bilateral symptoms, it is essential to consult a doctor to rule out a more serious condition (such as a spinal cord, a ponytail compression, etc.). Be reassured however, because these conditions are rare.
What is the difference between truncate sciatica and conventional sciatica?
The term sciatica is most often used to describe pain that radiates along the sciatic nerve, which starts in the lower back and runs down the back of the thigh and the long leg (sometimes up to the big toe). Sciatica usually starts in the lower back and can spread to the toes.
To learn more about sciatica, see the following article.
However, in some cases, the pain may not extend the full length of the leg. This is called a truncate sciatica.
We therefore speak of truncated sciatica when the pain stops at the level of the buttocks or the knee. When the pain stops in the buttock, it is sometimes called gluteal sciatica, but it is not a medical term.
This condition is less common than classic sciatica, which extends to the foot. However, both types of sciatica can be extremely painful and debilitating.
What are the symptoms of truncate sciatica?
Most people with truncate sciatica experience pain in the lower back and buttock, but the pain may also spread to the thigh or knee.
The most common symptom is pain in the lower back or buttock, but it can also spread to the thigh or knee.
The pain is usually worse when sitting or standing for long periods of time, and coughing or sneezing can also make it worse.
Some people may also experience a numbness or tingling of the big toe, as well as a loss of strength. If you experience any of these symptoms, it's important to see a doctor so they can diagnose and treat the underlying problem.
What are the causes of truncated sciatica?
La truncate sciatica is usually caused by pressure on the sciatic nerve. This nerve starts from the lower back and runs down the legs. There nerve compression can be caused by various factors, the most important of which is the herniated disc (often L4-L5 or L5-S1).
In addition to herniated disc, there are:
- Arthritis (lumbar arthritis, facet osteoarthritis, zygapophyseal osteoarthritis);
- A tumor ;
- A cerebral vascular accident ;
- Inflammation of muscles or ligaments.
If you are suffering from truncate sciatica, it is important to consult a doctor so that he can diagnose and treat the underlying problem.
Treatment: How to treat truncated sciatica?
Although the main cause is a herniated disc, treatment for this condition depends on the underlying cause (assessed by clinical examination and imaging tests as needed). In general, it will be necessary to follow a medical treatment. In the absence of response to conservative treatment, more invasive strategies (such as infiltration or surgery) will be opted for.
There are several treatment options to relieve the symptoms of sciatica:
- Rest : Rest is an effective treatment for relieving pain associated with sciatica or herniated disc. Indeed, it is important not to overwork the swollen muscles or ligaments and to give them time to heal, especially in the acute and inflammatory phase. On the other hand, it is essential to know that a prolonged and excessive rest can aggravate the condition, and limit the progression.
- Exercise : exercise can help stretch muscles and relieve pain. Exercises that are particularly beneficial for sufferers are those that strengthen the lower back and abs. It should ideally be followed by a health professional to optimize the results.
- Massage: un lower back and leg massage can help relax muscles and reduce pain. You can ask a professional to massage you, or you can do it yourself (tennis ball, massage gun, etc.) following medical recommendations.
- Medical treatment : If sciatica is caused by inflammation of the muscles or ligaments, it may be worth seeing a doctor so they can prescribe anti-inflammatories or other medications to relieve pain.
- Kinesitherapy (physiotherapy): Physical therapy is another treatment option that can help relieve the pain associated with this condition. Physiotherapy aims to stretch the muscles (such as the piriformis muscle), and improve mobility. There McKenzie technique is particularly effective for cases of herniated discs or radiating pain. Physiotherapy sessions can be performed by a professional or at home (via home exercises).
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is an alternative treatment technique that can help relieve associated pain. Acupuncture involves inserting needles into strategic points on the body to reduce pain. It is not supported by concrete scientific evidence, but seems to help many patients.
- Yoga: Yoga is another natural treatment option that can help relieve the pain associated with sciatica. Yoga aims to stretch and strengthen the muscles, which can help reduce pain. It is important to consult a professional, and stop when the pain gets worse.
- Product Accessories: Although not all scientifically proven, several tools and accessories can help relieve symptoms and improve the feeling of well-being. It should be noted, however, that these products will not necessarily treat the main cause of your sciatica.
Recommended products include:
- 【Multifunctional Physiotherapy】The acupressure kit set includes an acupressure mat and pillow, and 2 massage balls. You can use the acupressure set in different ways and on different parts of the body, such as lower back pain, insomnia, chronic stress, fatigue, tension, circulatory disorders, etc.
- 【Safe and Premium Material】The acupressure mat massager, cushion cover and storage bag are made of 100% cotton, the inside is 21D high-density eco-friendly sponge. The massage nail is made of non-toxic ABS plastic. 100% natural without side effects, hypoallergenic.
- 【Natural Ancient Indian Healing】 The acupressure mat has 230 massage nails, 6210 massage points, the pillow has 73 massage nails, 1971 massage points. Your weight is evenly distributed into thousands of small pieces to stimulate countless acupuncture points. Ideal for relaxation and promoting circulation. The size of the acupressure mat is 68*42cm, the size of the massage pillow is 37 x 15 x 10cm.
- 🔥BODY WARMING – The heating pillow lumbar consists of a built-in heating pad that heats up quickly to provide warmth to treat symptoms, menstrual cramps and stomach ailments, arthritis, leg pain and more.
- 🔥Vibration Massage - The back massager is integrated with 4 powerful massage motors to deliver a soothing vibrating massage. It helps reduce tension and strain in the neck and shoulders, lower back, lumbar region, thighs and legs.
- 🔥Customizable massage - This back pain wrap has 3 massage modes, 2 adjustable vibration intensities and 2 heating levels. Allows you to customize a setting for yourself to achieve the ultimate comfort. The heating pad is equipped with overheat protection and automatic shut-off functions to ensure safe use.
- POSTURE CORRECTION & MUSCLE ACTIVATION: Patented Neuroband technology activates back and shoulder muscles, reminding your body to align your back and shoulders while providing comfort and freedom of movement.
- PAIN AND TENSION REDUCTION: Supports and stabilizes tight muscles in the neck, back and shoulders helping to relieve pain and tension without restricting the muscles.
- INJURY PREVENTION: Helps prevent shoulder and back problems by providing support and preventing harmful movements. Recommended for everyday situations including sedentary or physical work, sports activities, housework, etc. The product promotes beneficial working positions by stabilizing weak muscles and aiding alignment, neutralizing the gap between joints.
- ✔️Improve unsupported chairs: The memory foam comfort cushion uses body heat to conform to the curves of the back and provide the lumbar support that is sorely lacking. office chairs
- ✔️Against back pain: Most chairs do not support the back, which causes tension. Ergonomic cushion supports upper, middle and lower back for complete comfort
- ✔️Breathable cover: The chair cushion has a breathable mesh cover that allows air to circulate, preventing heat build-up. Finally enjoy a perfectly fresh seat all day long
- 30 LEVELS Massage Gun：ALDOM massage gun Choose the speed and massage heads that best suits your needs can quickly remove lactic acid produced after exercise, and for daily relieve muscle, back and neck pain aches and stiffness, dramatically reducing muscle recovery time.
- Long Battery Life: Equipped with high quality battery, the muscle massager can keep working about 6-8 hours after charging, while the cooling system can effectively remove excess heat, if the battery is low, there will be a red prompt.
- Less than 45 dB Ultra Low Noise: ALDOM muscle massager gun which features high performance and low noise. features advanced technology and high-torque non-brushed electric motor, Featuring the high-precision mold which tightly connects the machine head and the body, The high-torque motor rotates 1800-4800 times per minute and achieves your tissue to loosen the fascia (connective tissue)
- LUMBA +: Uses the neurovertebral decompression technique recognized by INSERM, practiced in osteopathy practices and recognized by the Association of Exclusive Osteopaths. Neurovertebral decompression is a surgical or non-surgical procedure that aims to release pressure on the spinal cord or on the nerves of the spine
- Neurovertebral decompression is a key element in the treatment of back pain such as herniated discs, bulging discs, sciatic pain, disc degeneration and osteoarthritis. Vertebral decompression is a principle increasingly used in the treatment of back pain (pinched sciatic nerve, disc pinching, scoliosis, compression of the vertebrae or low back pain).
- Let's discover the technique of spinal decompression and see together its effects by stretching against sciatica. Principle of vertebral decompression Vertebral (or neurovertebral) decompression is a gentle treatment used in the event of a stuck sciatic nerve, a herniated disc or even a pinched disc.
- BACK MASSAGE ROLLER TO RELIEVE YOUR MUSCLE PAIN: relieve your muscle pain and tension with the Core Balance spiked foam roller. Roll the muscle massage roller placed under your muscles to break up soft tissue adhesions and target painful trigger points (muscle knots).
- DEEPER MYOFASCIAL RELEASE: Our back massager roller features a hollow plastic body with a nubby foam exterior for deeper myofascial release. The nubs on this back roller act like the hands and fingers of a massage therapist to target, relax and release tight muscle knots much more effectively.
- IMPROVE YOUR PERFORMANCE: Rolling the back roller over your muscles releases toxins, and increases the flow of blood and oxygen to the target area. Massage your muscles with our fitness roller before or after a workout to boost your performance, speed up your recovery time and protect you from injury.
- Muscle stimulator offering 30 programs: 10 physical preparation programs, 8 pain relief programs, 5 recovery programs, 2 rehabilitation programs and 5 fitness programs.
- The partner of your sports preparation, allowing you to prevent injuries, recover better but also relieve your pain.
- 4 independent channels allowing you to work 2 muscle groups simultaneously.
- Surgery : in extreme cases, sciatica may result from a serious condition or fail to respond to conservative treatments. With this in mind, it may be necessary to undergo surgery to relieve pain and resume activities.
Alternative treatments: What about natural remedies?
Although they are not supported by solid scientific evidence, several natural products and home remedies are used to treat various body pains, especially for their anti-inflammatory power.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of plants and essential oils that are effective in controlling pain and inflammation:
- Turmeric : Thanks to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory powers very powerful, turmeric is one of the most used plants in a culinary and therapeutic context. The composition of turmeric is essentially made of essential oils, vitamins (B1, B2, B6, C, E, K) and trace elements. But it is to its composition rich in curcumin and curcuminoids that we owe them and calm skin of this spice.
- WHY CHOOSE OUR TURMERIC AND BLACK PEPPER CAPSULES? – Turmeric is a very well-known plant…
- POWERFUL TURMERIC CAPSULES - Turmeric is an excellent source of Vitamin C, antioxidants,…
- IDEAL AND PRACTICAL FORMULA – The powders we use are delicately harvested,…
- Ginger : In addition to the special flavor it brings to the kitchen and its aphrodisiac properties, ginger is a root well known for its anti-inflammatory powers. THE gingerol gives it its anti-inflammatory action. It is an active component acting on the inflammatory pain related to chronic joint inflammatory diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, rheumatic diseases, etc. It has been proven that this active element is also effective in acting on the inflammation linked to arthritis and sciatica. Ginger also has other benefits thanks to its high potassium content and its richness in trace elements (calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sodium) and vitamins (provitamin and vitamin B9).
- 【Natural Ginger Foot Patches】: Natural Foot Detox Patch with Ginger and…
- 【Ginger Anti Swelling Detox Patch】: Ginger Detox Patches are natural,…
- 【Removes Body Toxins】: Ginger Foot Patches helps reduce the buildup of…
- Omega-3s : Omega-3 are polyunsaturated fatty acids that play a very important role in the functioning of our body. They are provided by food in three natural forms: docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), alpha linolenic acid (ALA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Beyond their action on the brain and the cardiovascular system, omega-3s prove very effective against inflammation. Indeed, they have the ability to act on the inflammatory mechanisms in osteoarthritis by slowing down cartilage destruction, thus they reduce the intensity of osteoarthritis pain. Since sciatica is most often linked to inflammation secondary to a herniated disc, it can also respond to omega-3s if you consume them regularly.
No product found.
- Lemon eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is a plant most often used in the form of herbal tea or essential oil. She would have anti-inflammatory effects which give it the ability to act on the bone and joint pain in general and the pain of sciatica in particular.
- Eucalyptus Citriodora Essential Oil.
- 100% pure.
- Botanical name: eucalyptus citriodo.
- wintergreen : Wintergreen is a shrub from which a very interesting essential oil is extracted. It is one of the most used essential oils in aromatherapy. This oil extracted from the shrub bearing the same name, is used in massage to relieve sciatica and act like a analgesic. Indeed, it provides a heating effect thanks to its ability toactivate blood circulation locally.
- PROPERTIES ORGANIC WINTERGOOD ESSENTIAL OIL: Wintergreen essential oil is…
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE: Refer to the instructions or ask your pharmacist for advice, This…
- PURESSENTIEL DNA: A range of 55 essential oils essential for well-being in the…
La truncate sciatica is a painful condition that can be caused by different causes, such as a herniated disc, arthritis, tumor or stroke.
Treatment depends on the underlying cause, but there are several ways to relieve the pain associated with this condition. If you think you have this condition, it's important to see a doctor so they can diagnose and treat the underlying problem.
thank you for your comeback
How can we improve the article?