Groin pain or tingling in the lower limbs does not necessarily mean you have a cruralgia. There are indeed many pathologies that can be the cause of these signs. What are the other possibilities if it is a false cruralgia? We talk about it in this article.
Definition and anatomy
La spine consists of the vertebrae of the neck, back, lower back (lumbar), sacrum and coccyx.
Le femoral nerve ( crural nerve) is made up of several nerve fibers that branch from the second to the fourth lumbar vertebra. These nerve roots play a sensory-motor role. Thus, they allow to provide sensation from the pelvis to the ankles in addition to contracting the muscles on these parts.
THEgroin represents the joint between the lower extremity of the abdomen and the upper thigh. The groin is made up of muscles (adductors, iliopsoas, sartorius), tendons (rectus femoris) and connective tissue. Inside, it has an inguinal canal and a femoral canal through which nerves and blood vessels pass.
Focus on cruralgia
Un syndrome which mainly affects people who exceed the quinquennium, the cruralgia occurs due to pinching of the crural nerve. The latter becomes irritated or invisibly stuck and causes bothersome symptoms that begin in the abdomen.
Cruralgia is manifested by a numbness to tingling on the groin and on the front of the thigh. It is a sensation of electric shock or complete anesthesia associated with a very painful burning sensation.
Patients lose reflex movement and muscle strength from the groin down. In fact, a condition of the crural nerve causes a regression of its strength, thus impacting its motor functions. To confirm the existence of this pathology in an individual, it is necessary to base oneself on clinical signs.
False cruralgia: what if the pain came from elsewhere?
We tend to think that pain felt from the groin emanates from the crural nerve. Imagine that by digging further, there may be other origins to pain in the groin and in the lower limbs.
What are the differential diagnoses of cruralgia?
Except pinched nerve myth, pain in the groin could be caused by 9 other causes.
Tendinopathy or pubalgia
This is a muscle pain which often affects athletes. Tendinopathy is a muscle injury that occurs in contact athletes and those who practice sports with sudden movements. This syndrome is characterized by micro tears which lead to inflammation at the level adductors and muscles around the groin.
Like cruralgia, the pains are aggravated by walking and movements that involve muscle contraction.
Low back pain
La lumbago ou lower back pain is one of the symptoms of cruralgia. It occurs in the lumbar vertebrae and is often caused by spinal or disc injury. It can also be caused by a problem with the facet joints.
Symptoms radiate to the muscles that make up the groin and down to the lower limbs.
Lumbar or hip osteoarthritis can cause compression of the radicular nerve. This causes tingling and pain on the iliopsoas and joints.
Mediafixer pain radiates to the knees and down the front of the leg, with a feeling of paresthesia.
Mediafixer stroke sequelae are not only limited to memory impairment, but also cause motor and sensory impairment. They cause paraesthesia of the upper or lower limbs: tingling, burning sensations with loss of sensitivity.
Prolonged bending or crossing of the legs constitutes a blockage in the blood circulation and also that of the nerve. Maintained over the long term, these positions lead to the compression of a nerve in the lower limbs. It also compresses several blood vessels causing venous insufficiency.
As a result, it causes numbness and electric shock sensations in the feet.
The hernie inguinale
A pathology that affects men, inguinal hernia represents a protrusion of a portion of the abdominal viscus. A small portion of the small intestine or peritoneum passes through the abdominal wall.
This pathology causes discomfort during walking or physical activities. It is painful especially in the groin and can even compress the tissues around the protrusion. In case of strangulation of the hernia, particular signs may appear:
- sudden redness and pain in the groin;
- difficulty passing stools;
- inability to evacuate intestinal gas;
- an onset of nausea and vomiting;
- a fever.
Kidney stones or kidney stones arise because of the formation of crystals inside the kidneys. Intense pain is quickly felt when the stones move towards the ureter.
The pain is felt in the lower back at the level of the side and radiates towards the groin. This disease is associated with other symptoms:
- frequent urges to urinate;
- pain felt during urination;
- vomiting and nausea;
- brown or reddish or pink colored urine.
La crural hernia ou femoral means a protrusion of a portion of the digestive tract through the abdominal wall. Like the inguinal hernia, the tube lands in the femoral canal and can experience strangulation.
This pathology occurs mainly in women and generates a strong pain from the groin that radiates to the lower limbs.
Pregnancy is one of the proven causes of pain and numbness in areas around the groin and legs.
When the uterus expands, it can jostle the organs around it, including the groin. In addition, hormones (relaxin) are secreted during this period. This causes a contraction of the ligaments followed by a reduction in their stability, and which manifests a painful sensation in the groin.
An increase in blood flow and volume also causes venous insufficiency in pregnant women. This gives transient paresthesias in the lower part of his body.
At full term, the baby's head presses on the pelvic area causing uneven discomfort in the groin and lower body.
Peripheral nervous system damage
This syndrome is characterized by a permanent tingling sensation in the hands, feet, legs. Sometimes the patient feels heat and pain.
This sensation can come from a lesion of the peripheral nervous system often associated with multiple sclerosis. It is a neurological disease that also affects people with diabetes or adults in their sixties.
What to do to treat the pain ?
In order to avoid confusion, it is essential to see a doctor who will establish the diagnosis and find the real cause of the pain. He will then refer the patient to specialists if necessary (rheumatologist, neurologist, etc.).
It is also important to go through a series of clinical, biological and medical imaging examinations which will eventually be proposed by the specialists.
That said, the method of treatment is distinct depending on the origin of the disorders.
The only common point in the treatment of all pathologies remains the way of relieving suffering. To do this, it is important to start resting the painful part before doing anything else.
The doctor will eventually prescribe medication to control the pain, depending on the clinical signs.
Acupuncture, osteopathy and various techniques used in kinesitherapy (physiotherapy) can be applied to relieve discomfort.
If the pain is triggered by poor posture, it is better to do stretching and remobilization exercises. A physical therapist (physiotherapist) will know which program to follow depending on the mechanical dysfunction encountered.
If micro tears are seen in the soft tissues, the exercises proposed aim to activate the circulation, tone and relax the muscles.
Manual massages or via devices are sometimes essential thanks to their anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect. A qualified therapist such as an osteopath or a physiotherapist are best placed to apply these methods.
Tools and accessories can also relieve pain and improve short-term feelings of well-being. It should however be noted that they will not necessarily act on the main cause of the problem.
- 【Multifunctional Physiotherapy】The acupressure kit set includes an acupressure mat and pillow, and 2 massage balls. You can use the acupressure set in different ways and on different parts of the body, such as lower back pain, insomnia, chronic stress, fatigue, tension, circulatory disorders, etc.
- 【Safe and Premium Material】The acupressure mat massager, cushion cover and storage bag are made of 100% cotton, the inside is 21D high-density eco-friendly sponge. The massage nail is made of non-toxic ABS plastic. 100% natural without side effects, hypoallergenic.
- 【Natural Ancient Indian Healing】 The acupressure mat has 230 massage nails, 6210 massage points, the pillow has 73 massage nails, 1971 massage points. Your weight is evenly distributed into thousands of small pieces to stimulate countless acupuncture points. Ideal for relaxation and promoting circulation. The size of the acupressure mat is 68*42cm, the size of the massage pillow is 37 x 15 x 10cm.
- 🔥BODY WARMING – The heating pillow lumbar consists of a built-in heating pad that heats up quickly to provide warmth to treat symptoms, menstrual cramps and stomach ailments, arthritis, leg pain and more.
- 🔥Vibration Massage - The back massager is integrated with 4 powerful massage motors to deliver a soothing vibrating massage. It helps reduce tension and strain in the neck and shoulders, lower back, lumbar region, thighs and legs.
- 🔥Customizable massage - This back pain wrap has 3 massage modes, 2 adjustable vibration intensities and 2 heating levels. Allows you to customize a setting for yourself to achieve the ultimate comfort. The heating pad is equipped with overheat protection and automatic shut-off functions to ensure safe use.
- POSTURE CORRECTION & MUSCLE ACTIVATION: Patented Neuroband technology activates back and shoulder muscles, reminding your body to align your back and shoulders while providing comfort and freedom of movement.
- PAIN AND TENSION REDUCTION: Supports and stabilizes tight muscles in the neck, back and shoulders helping to relieve pain and tension without restricting the muscles.
- INJURY PREVENTION: Helps prevent shoulder and back problems by providing support and preventing harmful movements. Recommended for everyday situations including sedentary or physical work, sports activities, housework, etc. The product promotes beneficial working positions by stabilizing weak muscles and aiding alignment, neutralizing the gap between joints.
- ✔️Improve unsupported chairs: The memory foam comfort cushion uses body heat to conform to the curves of the back and provide the lumbar support that is sorely lacking. office chairs
- ✔️Against back pain: Most chairs do not support the back, which causes tension. Ergonomic cushion supports upper, middle and lower back for complete comfort
- ✔️Breathable cover: The chair cushion has a breathable mesh cover that allows air to circulate, preventing heat build-up. Finally enjoy a perfectly fresh seat all day long
- 30 LEVELS Massage Gun：ALDOM massage gun Choose the speed and massage heads that best suit your needs can quickly eliminate lactic acid produced after exercise, and for everyday relieve muscle pain, back and neck aches and stiffness, greatly reducing the time muscle recovery.
- Long Battery Life: Equipped with high quality battery, the muscle massager can keep working about 6-8 hours after charging, while the cooling system can effectively remove excess heat, if the battery is low, there will be a red prompt.
- Less than 45 dB Ultra Low Noise: ALDOM muscle massager gun which features high performance and low noise. features advanced technology and high-torque non-brushed electric motor, Featuring the high-precision mold which tightly connects the machine head and the body, The high-torque motor rotates 1800-4800 times per minute and achieves your tissue to loosen the fascia (connective tissue)
- LUMBA +: Uses the neurovertebral decompression technique recognized by INSERM, practiced in osteopathy practices and recognized by the Association of Exclusive Osteopaths. Spinal neurodecompression is a surgical or non-surgical procedure that aims to release pressure on the spinal cord or spinal nerves
- Neurovertebral decompression is a key element in the treatment of back pain such as herniated discs, bulging discs, sciatic pain, disc degeneration and osteoarthritis. Vertebral decompression is a principle increasingly used in the treatment of back pain (nerve sciatica stuck, disc pinching, scoliosis, compression of the vertebrae or lower back pain).
- Let's discover the technique of spinal decompression and see together its effects by stretching against sciatica. Principle of vertebral decompression Vertebral (or neurovertebral) decompression is a gentle treatment used in the event of sciatic nerve stuck, of herniated disc or in case of disc pinching.
- BACK MASSAGE ROLLER TO RELIEVE YOUR MUSCLE PAIN: relieve your muscle pain and tension with the Core Balance spiked foam roller. Roll the muscle massage roller placed under your muscles to break up soft tissue adhesions and target painful trigger points (muscle knots).
- DEEPER MYOFASCIAL RELEASE: Our back massager roller features a hollow plastic body with a nubby foam exterior for deeper myofascial release. The nubs on this back roller act like the hands and fingers of a massage therapist to target, relax and release tight muscle knots much more effectively.
- IMPROVE YOUR PERFORMANCE: Rolling the back roller over your muscles releases toxins, and increases the flow of blood and oxygen to the target area. Massage your muscles with our fitness roller before or after a workout to boost your performance, speed up your recovery time and protect you from injury.
- Muscle stimulator offering 30 programs: 10 physical preparation programs, 8 pain relief programs, 5 recovery programs, 2 rehabilitation programs and 5 fitness programs.
- The partner of your sports preparation, allowing you to prevent injuries, recover better but also relieve your pain.
- 4 independent channels allowing you to work 2 muscle groups simultaneously.
In all cases, it will be necessary to find the origin of the symptoms in order to treat the condition properly. Do not hesitate to consult for appropriate support.
thank you for your comeback
How can we improve the article?