If you are one of the many who suffer from the painful chronic condition of herniated disc, you know how much it can affect the quality of life and daily activities.
Indeed, the herniated disc is usually the cause of intense pain at the neck (cervical hernia) and lower back (lumbar hernia), as well as numbness and unpleasant tingling in the limbs (upper limb if cervical hernia, lower limb if lumbar hernia).
These symptoms can make even the simplest everyday tasks extremely difficult to accomplish! Faced with this reality, it is crucial to seek appropriate solutions to improve one's daily life, and the choice of one good mattress is an essential aspect!
In addition to appropriate medical care, a suitable mattress can indeed play a key role in your quest for relief and comfort.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of selecting the ideal mattress for herniated disc. We'll share advice from health experts to help you understand the key features to look for, the different types of mattresses recommended, and the important criteria to consider when choosing.
Prepare to say goodbye to restless nights and chronic pain, to benefit from restorative and revitalizing nights of sleep!
Discover now our complete buying guide and dive into the world of mattresses suitable for herniated discs. Don't let this condition ruin your life anymore!
|Product||Mattress for herniated disc|
|For who ?||People with herniated disc, whether at the cervical, dorsal (rare) or lumbar level.|
|Earnings||– Good spine support|
– Correct alignment of the spine
– A marked reduction in pain
– Better sleep
– Personalized comfort
|Drawbacks||– Often higher cost|
– Different preferences between individuals
– Variable effectiveness from one person to another
– A more limited choice
|alternatives||– Use a suitable pillow (for sleep on your back, On the côté or on the belly)|
- Use a mattress topper
|Our opinion||When we suffer from herniated disc, the use of a suitable mattress is crucial to relieve symptoms and promote healing. A suitable mattress provides optimal support for the spine, reduces the pressure on the intervertebral discs and promotes proper posture during sleep, which helps improve the quality of rest, reduce pain and other symptoms associated with herniated disc.|
If you suffer from a herniated disc, know that, in addition to a good medical follow-up, you must adopt changes in your daily life so that you can effectively manage the symptoms and prevent the complications of this chronic condition!
Among these changes, one of the main ones is to creating an optimal sleep environment ! To do this, one of the first steps is to invest in a adapted bedding (pillows, mattresses, mattress topper...).
Here is our selection of best mattresses suitable for herniated disc, mattresses at the same time very popular with patients et recommended by professionals health :
A few words about cervical disc herniation
As you know, our spine is made up of a series of vertebrae stacked on top of each other. Between each pair of vertebrae there is a fibrocartilaginous structure called intervertebral disc, which acts as a shock absorber between the vertebrae.
Each intervertebral disc has a donut-like structure, consisting of a tough, fibrous outer part called annulus fibrosus, and an internal gelatinous part called pulpy nucleus.
Herniated disc is a common condition of the spine which occurs when the gelatinous nucleus of the intervertebral disc moves through a crack at the rigid outer part of the disc. Sometimes exercising a pressure on surrounding nerves, it creates pain and other symptoms such as numbness, tingling, muscle weakness…
Diagnosis of a herniated disc can be made by a doctor through careful analysis of the medical background, an physical examination complete and of imaging tests such as x-rays, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or CT scan.
Treatment varies depending on the severity of symptoms. In many cases, symptoms improve over time with conservative measures such as repos and change in activities.
If you have a herniated disc persistent or severe, further treatment may be needed:
- From the almost complete physiotherapy: relieve pain and strengthen the muscles around the spine to improve stability and flexibility.
- Personalized painkillers ou anti-inflammatory over-the-counter (eg, ibuprofen) or prescription can be used to relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
- Personalized corticosteroid injections administered directly into the epidural space around the nerve roots to effectively reduce local inflammation and relieve pain — known as “corticosteroid injections”.
If symptoms persist despite conservative treatment, surgery can be considered. Herniated disc surgery may consist of a discectomy (removal of the herniated part of the disc), or in a more invasive procedure such as a laminectomies or an fusion vertebral, According to hernia severity and other factors.
To know everything about the herniated disc, we invite you to read our full article on the subject by clicking here.
Mattress for cervical hernia: what is it?
In addition to good medical care, if you suffer from herniated disc, whether at the cervical or lumbar level, it is important to adapt your daily life so as to minimize the stress on your spine. This in particular by avoiding the carrying of heavy loads, by maintaining a correct posture in all circumstances, by limiting activities that can lead to false movements...
Moreover, since we spend a large part of our lives sleeping, it is essential for everyone, particularly in the case of a herniated disc, to maintain a comfortable sleeping position et optimal for the spine.
To do this, the first thing to do is to invest in the purchase of a suitable mattress on this condition!
Indeed, the problem with herniated discs is that certain sleeping positions or inappropriate mattresses can worsen symptoms ou promote complications.
Un inadequate mattress can practice excessive pressure on your spine, causing a misalignment and increase in compression intervertebral discs weakened.
Un mattress for people with herniated disc is designed to provide a optimal support and relief to your spine, reducing pressure on all of your intervertebral discs and surrounding nerves. These mattresses aim to promote neutral position of the spine and reduce pressure points, which can help reduce pain and improve comfort during sleep.
Mattress for cervical hernia: advantages
Mattresses specifically designed for people with herniated discs can dramatically improve your quality of life by giving you a more comfortable sleep with their many benefits, including:
- Good spinal support: they provide targeted support to your spine, promoting a neutral spine position to reduce pressure on your intervertebral discs and nearby nerve roots.
- A marked reduction in pain: With their expertly engineered design, these mattresses help relieve pain associated with herniated disc by minimizing pressure points and improving spinal alignment.
- Better sleep: mattresses suitable for herniated discs can improve sleep quality by reducing the disturbance caused by pain and promoting a more comfortable sleeping environment.
- Personalized comfort: these mattresses are designed to accommodate individual preferences for firmness and comfort. There are a wide variety of options for people to find the mattress that best suits their needs.
Mattress for cervical hernia: disadvantages
Mediafixer herniated disc mattress have only a few minor drawbacks, the main ones being:
- Often higher cost: mattresses made specifically for herniated discs and other back problems can be more expensive than regular mattresses. However, it is a very useful investment since such a mattress will bring a marked improvement in the quality of life.
- Different preferences between individuals: While these mattresses offer specific features for herniated disc relief, each person may have different preferences for firmness, support, and comfort. For this reason, some individuals may find it difficult to find mattresses that suit their personal preferences.
- Variable effectiveness from one person to another: the effectiveness of a mattress specifically designed for people with herniated discs differs from person to person. What works for one person may not work as well for another. It is therefore essential to find the mattress that best suits your own case, in particular by multiplying the tests!
- A more limited choice: the options available for mattresses specifically designed for herniated disc are more limited compared to the wide range of conventional mattresses available on the market, which can sometimes make it more difficult to find an option that is perfect for each person.
My opinion as a physiotherapist
Based on my professional experience and feedback from my many patients suffering from herniated disc, I can say that mattresses specially designed for this condition can bring you real relief and significantly improve your comfort during sleep.
The advantages of these mattresses lie mainly in their ability to provide optimal support to the spine. They are designed to maintain a neutral position of the latter in order to effectively reduce the pressure on the intervertebral discs and nerves, thereby reducing pain and improving the quality of sleep.
In addition, these mattresses are often designed to evenly distribute body weight, minimizing pressure points on sensitive areas, such as your upper body, lower back and hips. This contributes to a reduction in night pain and a feeling of greater comfort.
Note, however, that choosing a mattress suitable for herniated disc depends on your individual preferences. Indeed, each person has different needs and preferences in terms of firmness and comfort. I therefore recommend that you as a health professional test different mattresses and choose the one that offers an ideal balance of support and comfort for you.
Remember that the mattress is only part of the treatment for a herniated disc. A global approach, including strengthening and stretching exercises, as well as postural and ergonomic advice, is also essential to effectively manage your condition.
If you have a herniated disc, purchasing a mattress specially designed for this condition can only be beneficial!
In any case, it is recommended to consult a health professional, such as a physiotherapist or other healthcare professional specializing in back problems, who may guide you in choosing the best mattress for your specific needs.
How to choose the right mattress when you suffer from a herniated disc?
If you are suffering from herniated disc, the choice of a suitable mattress is of crucial importance for your comfort and relief.
To help you do the best choice of mattress for herniated disc, we list in the following part some of the main criteria to consider :
La firmness mattress is essential for maintaining proper spinal alignment. Your mattress should be neither too soft nor too firm! This is because a mattress that is too soft can cause your spine to sag too much, while a mattress that is too firm can create additional pressure points.
We therefore recommend that you opt for a medium to firm mattress to ensure adequate support for your spine, without compromising your comfort!
When choosing a mattress, whether or not it is designed for herniated disc, it is essential that you take into consideration your corpulence, that is, your weight and your size .
If you have a corpulence more important, you will need a mattress that provides extra support to avoid sinking too far into this mattress when you sleep and maintain proper spinal alignment.
In fact, if you have a high weight, you must choose a mattress that can adequately support this load. A mattress that is too soft can sag under your weight, which can cause a misalignment of your spine and increased pressure on your weakened discs.
In this case, a firm mattress or medium firmness can offer you a best support and even distribution of your weight during sleep.
Furthermore, if you are from Large size, you will obviously need a longer mattress to ensure proper spinal support from head to toe. So opt for a mattress that matches your height and allows you to stretch fully without going over the edge of the mattress.
do not hesitate testing different mattresses and consult the manufacturer's recommendations regarding the weight capacity of the mattress.
Taking into account your corpulence, you will have a mattress that specifically meets your support and comfort needs for an optimal sleep experience with a herniated disc !
The mattress should provide a optimal support for the spine, the latter having to remain in a neutral position. He should conform to the natural curves of your spine to reduce pressure on your weakened intervertebral discs and spinal nerves (the pressure of which from a herniated disc causes pain and other quality-of-life symptoms).
So make sure the mattress you choose supports your spine. aligned when lying on your back or side.
Feel free to try several mattresses before making your final choice!
Look for a mattress here evenly distributes body weight et reduces pressure points, especially in sensitive areas like the lower back and hips.
The optimal mattress should allow minimize compression of your intervertebral discs and D'reduce pain associated with your herniated disc.
You can also opt for a mattress topper that you will place above your current mattress in order to allow a better distribution of your body weight during sleep (reduction of pressure points and improvement of comfort).
Each person has individual preferences in terms of comfort. It is therefore very important to choose a mattress that gives you a feeling of comfort and well-being during sleep.
Some people prefer softer mattresses, while others prefer firmer ones. Listen to your body and choose the one that suits you best — obviously while taking into account the first criterion when choosing a herniated disc mattress, in this case the firmness (neither too soft nor too firm)!
Durability and quality of the mattress
Opt for a quality mattress, made with durable materials.
A good quality mattress will retain its support and firmness longer.
A good quality and properly maintained mattress can last for decades!
Herniated disc mattresses can be made from different filling materials, such as memory foam de forms, latex, polyurethane foam, or a combination of these materials.
Each material has its own characteristics and advantages:
- Memory foam: reacts to body heat and adapts to body contours, providing personalized support and reducing pressure points. It also has the ability to slowly return to its original shape after being compressed, which is essential for proper spinal alignment!
- Dimensions: 90 x 200 x 25cm; Double layer design with 5cm thickness 40kg/m³ perforated gel memory foam…
- Breathable double jacquard fabric cover with zipper, durable, 400gsm; removable and washable
- Features 9 specific pressure zones to provide ergonomic support and balanced weight distribution
- latex: Whether natural or synthetic, latex is renowned for its rebound and resilience. It provides balanced support and can help maintain good posture while sleeping. Latex is also valued for its breathability and resistance to heat buildup.
- Latex mattress 120×200 thick 18 cm – SEVENLIFE 18 – 100% Made in Italy product
- 16cm Latex sheet with 7 comfort zones, high density more than 65kg/m3 – hardness H2 MEDIUM-SOFT 5/10 for both…
- Premium 100% Latex Orthopedic Mattress - Ergonomic for Optimal Comfort and Back Support - Healthy Rest…
- Polyurethane foam: this material is often used in mattresses and mattress toppers due to its durability and affordability. Polyurethane foam provides adequate support and can be available in different firmnesses.
- Sleeping dimensions: 140 x 190 x 22 cm
- Type of mattress: Mouse+2cm memory foam+Spring
- 7 comfort zones: Thanks to the 7-zone structure, our mattress offers better support. It conforms to the shape of your body and evenly distributes the pressure to make you enjoy a great feeling of comfort, whatever your sleeping posture.
Taking into account these filling materials, you can choose a mattress that provides the support and comfort characteristics desired for your condition herniated disc.
|Memory foam||– Reaction to body heat|
– Adaptation to body contours
– Ability to slowly return to its original shape after being compressed
|Latex||– Rebound and elasticity|
– Good moisture wicking
– Resistance to heat build-up
|Polyurethane foam||- Sustainability|
– Affordable cost
– Adequate support
– Available in different firmnesses
Tests and warranties
We recommend that you choose a mattress that provides sufficient trial period, allowing to test your mattress for a few weeks before making your final choice. This will give you the opportunity to determine if the mattress is right for your needs.
Also look for social security such as the money back guarantee or satisfaction guarantee.
Some tips for better sleep and better living with a herniated disc
In addition to regular follow-up with a doctor or other quality health professional, as well as the choice of a suitable mattress, there are a number of rules for sleeping better and living better with a herniated disc. Here are some of the most important:
Choosing a correct sleeping position
Try to maintain a neutral posture of your spine during sleep.
If you are a student, this silver necklace is absolutely your first choice. The silver color will show your vitality and your youth. sleep on your back, opt for a ergonomic memory foam pillow specially designed for this sleeping position.
You can also place a pillow under your knees to support the natural curvature of your lower back.
However, here are some of the most popular back position pillows on the market:
If you prefer sleep on the side, use a fairly thick pillow to fill the space between your ear and the plane of the bed (height of your shoulder) in order to respect the alignment of your cervical spine.
Here too, you can place a pillow between your knees to keep your spine perfectly aligned.
Regarding the prone position, it is recommended to avoid it, because, in addition to causing digestive and respiratory problems, it does not allow an adequate alignment of the rachis during sleep.
However, if you do not plan to give up your prone position right away, we recommend that you opt for a pillow specially designed for this position.
Below are some of the most popular models for belly sleepers:
Before going to bed, practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation or yoga. It can help to reduce stress in relax your muscles and promote more restful sleep.
Regular physical activity
A regular physical activity and moderate will allow you to strengthen your back muscles and D'improve the flexibility of your spine, which can reduce the symptoms of herniated disc.
Just try to avoid positions or movements that make herniated disc pain worse. Pay attention to your body and adjust your posture or positioning accordingly.
We recommend that youtalk to a healthcare professional to obtain specific exercises adapted to your condition.
Application of heat or cold
The application of hot or cold compresses can temporarily relieve the pain associated with your herniated disc.
You can try both methods to see which gives you the most relief.
Choose one suitable mattress is of great importance for improving comfort, promoting restful sleep and supporting spinal health. This choice is even more important when you suffer from a pathology such as herniated disc !
A herniated disc usually results in considerable pain and discomfort, and a unsuitable mattress peut make these symptoms worse et disrupt sleep quality.
By considering some essential criteria when choosing a mattress, it is possible to reduce the pressure on your spine, improve your body alignment and promote muscle relaxation while you sleep.
Le level of firmness of the mattress, the quality of its materials filling and the degree of support it offers to your spine represent some of the key factors to consider.
By investing in a mattress suitable for herniated disc, You can reduce the pain and discomfort associated with this condition, improves the quality of your sleep et promote optimal recovery!
Create a sleep environment conducive to symptom reduction and improving your quality of life doing the best choice of mattress!
thank you for your comeback
How can we improve the article?
My name is Katia, I am specialized web editor in writing medical articles. Being passionate about medicine and writing, I set myself the goal of making medical information accessible to as many people as possible, through the popularization of even more complex scientific concepts.